NUI Galway has been a member of the Coimbra Group for over 30 years. The Coimbra Group is a network of 40 long-established, multidisciplinary European universities of the highest international standard. It includes such historically significant universities as Oxford, Bologna and Salamanca.
The Coimbra Group is committed to creating special academic and cultural ties in order to promote internationalisation, collaboration, excellence in learning and research and service to society. Each year the rectors and presidents, along with other delegates from the Coimbra Group member universities, meet at the Annual Conference and General Assembly. To coincide with the Irish Presidency of the European Union, the 2013 conference will be held in NUI Galway from May 22 - 24, and will address the theme of Creativity, Research and Innovation in Universities.
NUI Galway academic staff are invited to attend the Symposium on the theme of Creativity, Research and Innovation in Universities which takes place, as part of the conference, on Friday 24 May from 9.30am to 12.30pm in the Bailey Allen Hall, NUI Galway, followed by lunch.
Speakers to address the Coimbra Group Symposium:
• Dr Michael D. Higgins, President of Ireland;
• Máire Geoghegan Quinn, EU Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science;
• Professor Carol Becker, Dean of the Arts, Columbia University;
• Professor Joep Leerssen, Universiteit van Amsterdam; and
• Dr Mark Ferguson, Director General, Science Foundation Ireland & Chief Scientific Advisor to the Government of Ireland.
The Symposium Programme is available to download online - please click here
To confirm your attendance at the Symposium and/or Lunch - please click here to register your details, indicating clearly whether you will attend Symposium and/or Lunch.