Conference Website: http://astro.nuigalway.ie/speedandsensitivity/
With 8-10m telescopes now mature and Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) projects and their early instruments well-defined, time is ripe to consider the positive impact of new technology on science from such large telescopes in the longer term.
This workshop will explore science drivers and concepts for new instrumentation for large telescopes. It will cover the interface between science, telescope, instrumentation and adaptive optics systems, including:
- science drivers that push the current boundaries towards higher time resolution, sensitivity, spatial resolution, polarisation and multiplex
- the status of the European ELT and other large telescopes, their instrumentation plans and opportunities for implementing new ideas
- technological developments including fast, low-noise and energy sensitive detectors, VPH gratings and astrophotonics
- novel instrumentation concepts enabled by such technology and by advances in adaptive optics performance
- processing and analysis of new datasets
This 3.5 day meeting in Galway on the west coast of Ireland will include invited reviews and contributed talks. It will bring together scientists and developers of enabling technology from around the world to seed ideas for future generations of instrumentation.