(1) Final SFGE 2012 PROGRAMME now available under Programme tab! Check back regularly for updates.
(2) The conference will have an ASCE ExCEEd (Excellence in Civil Engineering Education) session on July 5th, facilitated by Prof. Bob O'Neill of Florida Gulf Coast University. This afternoon session will be of interest to all engineering and science academics. Details of the ExCEEd philosophy are available at http://www.asce.org/exceed/ .
(3) A novel feature of SFGE 2012 is the inclusion of a number of break-out discussion sessions (each approximately 1 hour long) which are detailed in the final programme. When you register at the conference and receive the list of delegates in attendance, you will notice that you have been assigned to one of two groups, A or B. Groups A and B will work in parallel in separate rooms for 40 mins, before reconvening and consolidating the outcomes in plenary for 20 mins.
Each group will have a facilitator who will prompt the discussion with questions. Click here for the list of questions for all four sessions. I hope that you will be able to find time (perhaps on an aeroplane to Ireland for many of you) to read through the list and formulate your own views and positions on the issues raised. Some advance preparation by all of us will lead to richer debate at the conference and hopefully will lead to a definite set of actions by the end of the conference.
(3) You are invited to avail of the early-bird registration fee, deadline extended to May 17th.
(4) Galway city will be very busy around the time of the conference as Galway is hosting the final leg of the Volvo Ocean Race. You are strongly advised to book your accommodation as soon as possible.